The college of Agriculture, Jalingo was established by the defunct Gongola state Government in the year 1979 with the following Objectives: To provide courses of study, training and research, in all branches of agriculture, of a standard leading to the award of National and Higher National Diploma levels.
The college took off with a Remedial class (pre-technical Programme) of 40 students at its temporary site in Jalingo town. In 1981, the college acquired its present permanent site measuring approximately 964 square hectares. The college got affiliated to Division of Agricultural Colleges (DAC) of the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Consequent upon that, the DAC was responsible for moderation and supervision of the college curricular for the following programmes:
- General agriculture
- Animal Health and Husbandry
- Home Economics
In line with the minimum standard specified by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) , a body empowered by Decree No. 6 of 1985 to supervise and accredit technical education in the country , the college had to re-structure its programmes to conform with NBTE's minimum standards in 1988.
To train adequate and qualified middle and lower level manpower needed to meet the increasing demand for trained agricultural staff for various agro-allied agencies for the development of agricultural programmes of the state, and the country in general as well as private agricultural enterprises
What we do
- Conduct refresher training courses for agriculture and veterinary field staff so that their knowledge could be updated and fully equipped for higher responsibilities.
- Organize practical courses for farmers to enable them benefit from modern technologies. Provide a centre for seminars, conferences and workshops on agricultural problems and developments.
- Initiate programmes of specialization within the school to meet the agricultural needs of the state.
- Improve knowledge, teaching and overall effectiveness of agricultural and veterinary teaching staff.
- Provide within the limits of the college's resources some appropriate consultancy services to agricultural and livestock enterprises, schemes and agencies in the state.
- Establish fully mechanized farms and economic livestock to the national effort of self sufficiency in food production.